These zucchini taco boats are filled with spicy ground turkey taco filling. Top your taco boats with diced avocado, tomatoes and cheese.
This dish can be prepared in advance. Make your zucchini boats early in the morning and then cover them in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake them.
These Mexican zucchini boats can be made from any ground meat. This recipe works well with ground beef, Italian sausage, and ground chicken.
You can substitute canned black beans in place of the turkey if you don’t like meat. Before adding the beans to the mixture, drain them and rinse them. The beans are already cooked so you will need to saute your vegetables before adding them to the skillet.
Spicy Zucchini Taco Boats
- 4 med/lg zucchini cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 2 cups spicy salsa or salsa of choice
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 oz taco seasoning packet 1packet
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 small white or yellow onion minced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce unsalted
- 1 small jalapeno
- 1 tsp red pepper chili flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 medium avocado cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions for topping
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- parsley for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F and then put 1 cup of spicy salsa in the bottom of a 9×13″ baking pan. Blanch the zucchini halves. Bring a large-pot with salted water. Put the zucchini halves, with the seeds removed, for a few minutes. Drain and put the zucchini halves and place them in the prepared baking-dish.
- In a large skillet, heat the ground turkey on medium heat. Stir frequently to break it up as it cooks. If the pan is sticking, add 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Once the meat is almost fully cooked, add the taco seasoning, jalapeño, onion, spices, salsa, tomato sauce, bell pepper and water and mix well. Allow it to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Fill the zucchini boats with meat using a spoon. Divide the taco meat evenly. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender. Top with avocado, tomatoes and parsley, or any other toppings you prefer.
Please! if you like this Spicy Zucchini Taco Boats recipe, don’t forget to give the STAR RATE (★★★★★) or comment below. Thank you. You can see the full recipe here krollskorner.