Hearty vegan stew Italian style with gnocchi dumplings, meaty jackfruit, carrots and peas along with a thick red-wine gravy. No beef, one-pot, rich, savory and whole-foods plant based recipe.
Recipe Notes :
- You can use about 1lb of diced golden potatoes rather than gnocchi or some other homemade dumplings.
- The leftovers keep well in the refrigerator up to 4-days. They may also be frozen in lidded freezer proof containers or mason jars around 4months. Don’t forget to thaw out from the refrigerator the night before to reheating.
- For the recipe to beWFPB and Plantricious compliant omit all oil and be certain that you use an entire grain gnocchi made with whole wheat, rice flour or brown rice.
Hearty Vegan Stew
- 1 lb gnocchi Italian potato dumplings
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lb jackfruit pieces rinsed well
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes diced
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 2 carrots sliced into rounds
- ⅓ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 yellow onion diced
- ¾ cup frozen green peas thawed out and rinsed
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cups vegetable stock low-sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika you can sub sweet paprika
- ⅓ cup fresh Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 3 whole cloves
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat a heavy bottom dutch oven over medium-low-heat and sautee the onion and lettuce at a drop of oil or a dash of water till the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a few seconds till aromatic. Then add the thyme, bay, jackfruit pieces along with also the red-wine. Simmer till the wine is nearly evaporated.
- Meanwhile whisk the flour with the vegetable-stock till mixed and add it to the pot with the jackfruit. Bring to a simmer and stir in the paprika and cloves.
- Cook everything together for 45 minutes till the jackfruit is fork tender. Stir in the gnocchi, tomatoes and green-peas and cook for a few minutes till the gnocchi float to the top and the green peas have been cooked to your own liking.
- Discard the thyme sprigs and whole-cloves and then season the stew into a own taste with sea salt and pepper. Stir in the skillet and serve!
Please, if you like this Hearty Vegan Stew recipe, don’t forget to give me STAR RATE (★★★★★) or comment below. Thanks. You can see the full recipe here veggiesociety.